The three streaming TV leading players – in terms of turnover and number of subscribers – are well defined: Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Instant Video. In this post, y will draft the market outlook and the milestones reached by each of these companies.
* Has the greater number of subscribers internationally at 75 million.
* Regarding content, it has impacted ‘captive audiences’ in lineal TV, such as Generation X and Millennials with its original productions’ battle horses such as House of Cards, Orange is The New Black and The Square, which proved their quality before the TV industry by wining several Emmy awards.
* It has the capacity to adapt to any screen, platform or console device: consumers can see their preferred content by reproducing its streaming through PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Roku, Chromecast, Android Devices, among others. In addition, it allows the user to change the device and continue watching a program from the point it was left off.
* The capacity to constantly renew content. Not only through ‘nurturing’ the audience with recent original content and programming from the large studios, but also through acclaimed lineal TV classics such as Friends, The Walking Dead, The Blacklist, Harry Potter, among others.
* This service not only strongly ventures into traditional streaming, but also innovates in the process digitalization field by creating its virtual reality App for Samsung Gear VR, which allows the user to watch 360° videos.
* Its audience is close to one tenth that of Netflix: 9 million subscribers.
* Its storytelling is guaranteed to achieve success and attract new audiences, by having alliances with the largest companies in the content and distribution creation sector such as NBCUniversal, FOX and Disney-ABC.
* Its alliances with large producers such as Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, National Geographic Channel and Univisión, allows Hulu to broadcast contents being broadcast in open TV.
Amazon Prime Instant Video
* This streaming platform has a strategic advantage over its competitors: having Amazon’s e-commerce service available. With this Ace up its sleeve, it will not only allow expanding its core business but also diversify it in a certain way. For example: by creating content related to branded entertainment, based on the products being commercialized through its ‘sister’ line of business.
* Amazon Video is betting on a niche segment with high purchasing power, by developing its streaming visualization app for Apple TV.
* This service is betting beyond Internet hyperconnection and is betting on its transcendence in the lives of its subscribers in the offline environment: starting on September 2015, users can unload their preferred contents to visualize them later on in their Apple or Android devices.
By profiling the main players in the international streaming industry, this colossal innovation in the communications and digital industry is better fit for users’ homes that are not only looking for entertainment, but also quality content that marks a trend and transcends beyond generations, to the point that a millennial from 2016 talks to his/her grandkids in 2050 about House of Cards, Daredevil, Casual, 11.22.63, Bosch, among others.